10 August 2007

August Apocalypse

Thank God it is August and I am in vacation mode. It seems the world is melting down with the stock market tumbling and our currency and real estate plumeting rapidly toward worthlesness. Fortunately, I decided to take the day off and can watch the apocalypse from the balcony with a refreshing beverage. How 'bout another cocktail?

I have been in Covington, Ky on business and the trip reminded me of why I do not fit in with the midwest: An abundance of national fast food chains and obesity, combined with a lack of culture or desire for any physical activity. When I returned home all I wanted was a bowl of brocolli, some water, and a sauna to sweat out the toxins. Not to be cruel-- I grew up there. But really. The trans-fat capital of the world.

Tuesday was The Lovely S's birthday and we celebrated at Makoto. Makoto is a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Pallisades, a beautiful neighborhood north of Georgetown in D.C. It is a gem that stands in opposition to the showy "power lunch" steakhouse type places typical of D.C. This place is not just a pretty face, the food itself is the real reason to go. We had the chef's tasting menu with ten small courses that I'll have to detail another time. Some sushi, some soups, some noodles, some veggies, some teriyaki style courses. A great balalnce. If you are ever in D.C. and want to get away from the tourists and lobyists, check it out!

Wednesday, we met some friends to try a new Italian restaurant they were interested in. We checked out Dino in Cleveland Park. S and I like Italian food some much that we cook it often ourselves and rarely go out for Italian. This was not the best place we've ever come across, but certainly satisfying. The pasta is not the thing to get. I had a mixed antipasti plate and grilled whole branzino. Excellent. Our friend had a very good steak alla Fiorentina. One kilo! And finished it!

That's enough. Time for a G&T. Cheers, all. See you in a month.

No comments: