23 October 2007

Birthday Extravaganza

Normally, I am not one to go all out for a birthday-- certainly not my own. I don't like to draw attention, don't like to be the focus of attention, and don't see the point in made-up sorts of holidays like New Years Eve. I'm an adult and I can drink any time I want. Similarly, I don't tend to foist my birthday on people.

This year, however, I did. It all started with a trip to Illinois to visit my parents the weekend before my birthday. The lovely S and I drove all thirteen hours of it and my brother, sister-in-law, and niece joined us. We bonded, had cake, dined at Eldorado's newest and most celebrated Mexican restaurant, and I opened presents-- a Land's End gift card and a classic Harris Tween blazer. Just what I wanted!

But it didn't end there! S and I had to have our tires replaced before the drive back, knocking us a bit off schedule. We didn't arrive back in our nation's capital until very late Monday night. Tuesday was actually my birthday, so I just though, "why not take the day off?" I did. I slept in, read the paper, had coffee, went to the gym, played with the cats, and cooked dinner. It was such a nice day, I have decided that my new policy is to take my birthday off every year.

But wait, there's more: Saturday S and two good friends took me out for an incredible dinner at one of D.C.'s finest restaurants: Palena. The executive chef, Frank Ruta, is a former White House chef and he certianly knows a thing or two about impressive food. Dinner was excellent (foie gras and partridge terrine, pumpkin gnocchi with bleu cheese, roast lamb loin, and chocolate hazelnut semifreddo) but I was very impressed with the cocktails (you know me!). I had a classic Manhattan and our friend Jon tried the Sidecar. Both excellent. Nothing fancy, frufru, or trendy, just really good ingredients, an eye for detail, and a commitment to traditional methods. Very nice work. I can't wait to go back just for a drink!

1 comment:

Melissa C Morris said...

happy belated b-day!