24 October 2007

The New Season of Bear Grylls?

Since I am an avowed fan of Bear Grylls, I have gotten a few inquiries about the recent revelations about the production details of his show. Several news reports over the summer indicated that his crew did a lot of the work, that he stayed in hotels rather than in "the bush," and that some of the situations are contrived.

Those involved in the show seem to confirm the details, but is it really a controversy? I for one, will continue to watch and be an avid fan. If they have a set budget and a set time period, it seems pretty obvious that some scenes would need to be set up just as a matter of expediency. I enjoy the show because it presents techniques for surving environments that would seem unsurvivable to most of us. I don't expect the star to be an expert in every micro-environment he goes to. But he is very entertaining at presenting expert information about his location. That is what matters to me.

Since these new stories, I have noticed some disclaimers on re-runs that disclose the specific circumstances of the shoots. I have also heard that some format changes will be taking place when Bear's next season permiers in mid-November. I will be watching!

PS- Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

No comments: