05 December 2007

Repeal Day is 5 Decemeber!

Today is 5 December. Do you recognize the significance? On this day in 1933, the 21st amendment to the U.S. constitution was passed, repealing the absurdly unsuccessful experiment of enforced temperance. Since this blog has morphed from general to cat to food to drink, I think I would be remiss if I did not commemorated the day. Please join me in raising a glass, wherever you are tonight, to our right to enjoy a cocktail together!

In honor of the day, let me post my recipe for the most classic cocktail of all, the Martini. This is based on an old fashioned recipe and differs a great deal from the recipes normally used today. The original Martini was made with mostly sweet vermouth and a little gin. Since then it has been inverted to mostly spirit and practically no vermouth—mostly dry vermouth at that. Now, as long as you make your Martinis with gin, I have no problem with whatever recipe you like to use. If you make them with vodka, though, don’t call them Martinis. Martinis are made with gin.

My particular recipe is based on numerous accounts of the Martinis President Franklin Roosevelt used to enjoy mixing (and one might guess drinking). First, of course, I ice down the glass. I sprinkle just a hint of sea salt over the ice to start the melting process and bring out the herbal notes in the gin when shaken. In the shaker I add just a splash of sweet vermouth (probably less than a teaspoon, but it mellows and rounds the drink nicely). Then I add 1.5 parts dry vermouth to 4 parts gin (Hendricks is my preferred high-end but I like plain old Gordon’s for a basic gin). Toss in the ice and shake, seven times over the right shoulder, in waltz time. Strain into the chilled glass. I like to garnish with a twist of lemon, but olives are acceptable if you must. After all, this is a day to celebrate individual freedoms. Purists will note that Martinis should be stirred, not shaken. True, but I like mine colder with the chipped and melted ice from the shaking process. Lastly let me point out that they really shouldn’t be made one at a time. Make a pitcher and enjoy them with friends!

Let me also point you to a couple of interesting websites for cocktail enthusiasts. There is a story in today’s NY Times about St. George’s Spirits. I haven’t tried anything yet, but I am anxious to. Also check out www.wallywine.com. Who knew you could order liquor online? Not only is it convenient, they have a much better selection of high-end products than the typical corner liquor store. I am particularly anxious to try the small-batch vermouths and other products that usually play a supporting role in a cocktail. I think by insisting on quality in the oft-overlooked aspects, the final product will be much improved overall. They also have a great selection of small-batch bourbons that I would like to try in my Manhattans, Whiskey Sours, and other drinks. I’m never going to another liquor store again! This truly is a joyous day!

No comments: